Monday, February 27, 2017


Six weeks: the underground comics



For week six I've read "Mr. Natural". It wasn't disturbing at first, even it had a lot of racism, but I would consider myself used to hear racist comments because my country is really racist and homophobic. But then terrible things happened which lead to a necessity of using bleach on my eyes. A lot of sexual violence and a lot of really disturbing sexual "jokes" (?). Probably the style of comics was making everything even more disturbing for me because I associate this style with early Disney animations. I feel like that the style of cartoons that were made for kids should not be used in something so "eye-bleach requiring".


I want to make a point that when I read Eisner's "Contract with God", the fourth part of it was quite sexual, but I didn't think of it as something terrible or brain damaging. I don't have problem with reading something sexual as long as it's kind of more natural, not like in underground comics I've read (and really regret doing so), where I felt sad and quite concerned about humanity, knowing that there's a person who wrote this (later in class teacher told us that Robert Crumb was using LSD, which made little more sense) and that there are people who enjoyed reading something so disturbing and wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment